Korean Sizzling Beef (aka Beef Candy!)
After a long day of work, the only thing you want to do is relax and have some good food. So here is a dish that you'll want to keep on hand for all the grilling season. This Korean Sizzling Beef (aka Beef Candy!) recipe will transform your grill into an authentic BBQ experience with its sweet and spicy flavors. Based on the Korean classic, Bulgogi, thinly sliced beef is marinated in soy, sugar, and sesame oil. With all the flavors you crave and some added heat from crushed red pepper for spice, get ready to impress your guests!
We start with flank steak, pounded to make it super thin and tender. Next, prepare the marinade by combining soy sauce, sugar, white wine, garlic, sesame oil, and red pepper until the sugar dissolves. Marinate the flank steak for at least four hours before grilling. Char beautiful scallions over high heat on the grill first, then cook the steak in batches. The thin steak will grill in about 30 seconds with high heat, so you will be working fast. Finally, serve the savory-sweet and spicy "beef candy" with the grilled scallions and steamed rice for a gorgeous and simple weeknight meal!
Korean Sizzling Beef (aka Beef Candy!) Ingredients
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- One 2 1/2-pound beef flank steak, cut across the grain into twenty 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 16 scallions
- Vegetable oil, for rubbing
- Steamed rice, for serving
Korean Sizzling Beef (aka Beef Candy!) Directions
- In a large, shallow dish, combine the soy sauce with the sugar, white wine, chopped garlic, toasted sesame oil, and crushed red pepper, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the sliced flank steak and coat thoroughly in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate the steak for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Light a grill or heat a griddle. Rub the scallions all over with vegetable oil and grill them over high heat, turning once, until the scallions are just softened for about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Working in batches, grill the steak over high heat until the slices are richly browned and medium-rare, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer the steak to a serving platter and serve with the grilled scallions and steamed rice.