Grilled Holiday Honey Ham
Christmas is just around the corner, and if you're planning to serve up a traditional holiday ham, why not give it a grill-tastic twist? This Grilled Holiday Honey Ham recipe is the perfect way to add smoky flavor to your festive feast. Your ham will be juicy and flavorful with overnight dry rubs and a simple glaze.
We recommend cooking it on one of our American Made Grills for the best results. Our grills are designed with professional chefs in mind, featuring high-quality materials, construction, and performance. Our recipe ideas and seasonal tips will keep your grilling game on point all year round.
The thought of Grilled Holiday Honey Ham is enough to make anyone's mouth water. To create the perfect ham for your holiday feast, start with a bone-in ham that provides better flavor and a classic presentation. Look for a city ham labeled "Ham" or "Ham with Natural Juices" to ensure you get the most ham protein with the least added water.
Once you have your ham, it's time to add some flavor. The sweet and spicy dry rub mixture of brown sugar, cumin, ginger, mustard powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper will tantalize your taste buds. Grilling the ham over indirect heat for about 2 hours ensures a moist and savory texture, and adding the honey-butter glaze for the last 30 minutes allows it to caramelize on the outside.
Trust me, this Grilled Holiday Honey Ham will be the highlight of your holiday meal. So, why not make this Christmas one to remember with a delicious Grilled Holiday Honey Ham?
Grilled Holiday Honey Ham Ingredients
- 1 (12 to 14-pound) fully-cooked, bone-in ham, preferably shank-end
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Grilled Holiday Honey Ham Directions
- Trim the ham of excess fat, leaving 1/4-inch of fat on the ham. Score the fat on the top of the ham with a sharp knife. Place the ham on a large-rimmed baking sheet.
- Whisk together the brown sugar, salt, black pepper, cumin, ginger, mustard powder, and cinnamon in a small bowl—reserve one tablespoon of the dry rub mixture for the glaze. Season the ham with the remaining dry rub. Place plastic wrap over the ham in the refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours. Allowing the seasoning to penetrate the ham overnight will give it a fuller flavor.
- Preheat your grill to 300 degrees F for indirect heat.
- Place the baking sheet with the ham on the grill grates, with the ham flat side down. Cover the grill and let the ham cook for 2 hours.
- Heat the butter, thyme, honey, vinegar, and reserved dry rub in a medium saucepan until the butter melts. Stir together until smooth. Brush the ham with the glaze, cover it with the grill hood, and grill for 30 minutes more, basting it every 10 minutes with the glaze. Remove to a platter, rest for 30 minutes, then carve and serve.
Taken from A Very Merry Grilled Christmas from summersetgrills.com https://summersetgrills.com/blogs/recipes/grilled-holiday-honey-ham-a-very-merry-grilled-christmas