Smoky Barbecue Carrot Hot Dogs with Creamy Chickpea Salad
It's that time of year again...time for barbecues and picnics! And what would a barbecue be without hot dogs? But this year, step up your game with something new and exciting - Smoky Barbecue Carrot Hot Dogs with Creamy Chickpea Salad!
These luscious carrot dogs are the perfect addition to your autumn barbecue menu. They're vegan, juicy, and loaded with a delicious creamy chickpea salad. Plus, they're SO fun to make! Just boil the carrots, marinate them in a smoky barbecue sauce, and grill to perfection. Then pile on the salad and enjoy! This delicious, vegan-friendly hot dog is perfect for your autumn barbecue.
So don't settle for boring old hot dogs this barbecue season. Step up your game with Smoky Barbecue Carrot Hot Dogs with Creamy Chickpea Salad! So fire up the grill and get ready for some autumn fun!
Makes 8 Carrot Dogs
Smoky Barbecue Carrot Hot Dogs with Creamy Chickpea Salad Ingredients
For the carrots
- 8 large carrots
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 heaping tsp paprika powder
- 1 ½ Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup / 120 ml water
For the creamy chickpea salad
- 14 oz / 400 g canned chickpeas
- 3 medium pickles
- 1 small onion
- a big handful of lettuce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup / 120 ml vegan light or heavy cream or sunflower sour creamor vegan mayo or homemade vegan cream
- store-bought hot dog buns or make them yourself using this yeast dough recipe(tips to follow)
- some ketchup for serving
Smoky Barbecue Carrot Hot Dogs with Creamy Chickpea Salad Directions
- Wash the carrots but don't peel them. Boil them until soft but not mushy (don't add salt yet). Drain and let them cool down. Mix oil with salt, herbs, paprika powder, soy sauce, and water. Peel the carrots and put them into a plastic bag. Cover the carrots with marinade and let them marinate in the fridge for at least a few hours or overnight.
- For the chickpea salad, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Mash them a little using a fork. Don't mash them thoroughly; leave some of them whole. Add thinly chopped pickles, onion, and lettuce. Add vinegar, oregano, salt, pepper, and vegan cream or sunflower sour cream. Mix everything. Put the salad into a fridge until it's time to grill the carrots.
- To make perfectly soft hot dog buns, use this yeast dough recipe. Just make the dough and let it rise in a warm place for about an hour. Then knead the dough again and divide it into eight pieces. Form 8 hot dog buns (if the dough sticks, make your hands a bit oily) and place them on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. It's good to put them near each other, so they stick together when baking, making the sides much softer. Let the buns rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 F / 200 C. Bake the buns for 20 minutes. Don't overbake them. They need to be just lightly golden brown on the top and bottom. Take the buns out of the oven, brush them with water and cover them with a moist kitchen towel. Let them be until you grill the carrots.
- Take the marinated carrots and put them onto a stick. Grill them until they have grill marks and start to get much darker. Take a hot dog bun and cut it open. Cover the inner sides of the bun with a little bit of ketchup. Add a lettuce leaf and grilled carrot, and top it with a load of chickpea salad. Enjoy!
Taken from vegansandra.com http://www.vegansandra.com/2015/05/smoky-barbecue-carrot-dogs-with-creamy.html