Smoked Irish-Style Lamb and Potatoes
Get your grills ready because St. Patrick’s Day has never tasted better! With a dramatically delicious take on roast and potatoes, Smoked Irish-Style Lamb and Potatoes present a unique way to honor the approaching holiday.
Begin by butterflying the lamb leg to reach all the crevices for flavorsome seasoning with spices, including rosemary, garlic, black pepper, and salt. Then, tie it securely with kitchen twine before cooking it in the smoker on the top shelf for an hour. Meanwhile, prepare a grill pan with additional vegetables - potatoes, onion, and bell peppers - adding their own bold seasoning of garlic, salt, and pepper. Place this savory mix underneath to catch the lamb drippings!
From festive dishes to tasty grilling recipes, your St Patty’s will be one to remember thanks to Smoked Irish-Style Lamb and Potatoes.
Smoked Irish-Style Lamb and Potatoes Ingredients
For the Lamb
- 1 lamb leg (boneless)
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
For the Potatoes
- 15 medium potatoes
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup bell pepper (seeded and diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
Smoked Irish-Style Lamb and Potatoes Directions
- Prepare the mixture for lamb in a small bowl.
- Butterfly lamb and place half the ingredients inside and rub the remaining ingredients on the surface of the lamb. Close the lamb leg and tie it with kitchen twine to secure it.
- Place lamb on the top shelf of the smoker or hybrid grill, prepped with your favorite wood for smoking. Allow smoking for about 4 hours at 225 F / 110 C.
- Place potatoes, onion, and bell pepper in a sturdy pan one hour after the lamb has been in the smoker. Sprinkle with minced garlic, salt, and black pepper. Position the pan with potatoes under the lamb. Expect drippings from lamb to come into contact with potatoes. Allow potatoes to smoke for 2 to 2/12 hours. Be sure to stir occasionally.
Taken from the Happy St. Patrick’s Day Grilling Series from Summerset Grills.