Grilled Turkey with Citrus-Herb Salt and Sage Butter
Are you tired of spending your Thanksgiving cooped up in the kitchen, overwhelmed and exhausted? Well, it's time to bring the festivities outdoors and wow your friends and family with a mouthwatering Grilled Turkey with Citrus-Herb Salt and Sage Butter. This incredible preparation not only frees up your kitchen for all those delicious side dishes and desserts, but it will also leave your taste buds dancing with delight.
Let's start by butterflying a medium-sized turkey and immersing it in a heavenly brine mixture. This magical concoction of water, salt, brown sugar, and a sinful splash of bourbon is heated and simmered until it completely dissolves and merges into a symphony of flavors. As this delightful brine bathes the turkey, it infuses moisture and tastes deep into every nook and cranny, ensuring your bird stays tender and succulent on the grill.
The star of the show is undoubtedly our sage compound butter. Bursting with aromatic herbs and velvety fat, this buttery goodness not only imparts an extra layer of flavor to your turkey but also creates a protective shield against any untimely charring or burning. With every bite, you'll savor the crisp and perfectly browned skin as the sage butter works its magic.
And let's not forget about the herb and citrus rub. Infused with the vibrant notes of lemon, lime, thyme, and rosemary, this sensational blend adds a burst of robust seasoning and tantalizing texture to the skin as it sizzles on the grill. Not only does it make your turkey look stunning, but it also elevates the flavor to new heights, leaving you and your guests mesmerized.
The result is a perfectly cooked, moist, savory, smoky, and undeniably gorgeous turkey that will steal the show as the centerpiece of your holiday feast. Imagine the look on your loved ones' faces as they gather around the grill, their mouths watering in anticipation of sinking their teeth into this masterpiece.
This Thanksgiving, take a break from the chaos of the kitchen and let our Grilled Turkey with Citrus-Herb Salt and Sage Butter take center stage. With its captivating flavors, juicy tenderness, and show-stopping appearance, it's the ultimate gift you can present to your family and friends – a holiday memory they will treasure forever.
Grilled Turkey with Citrus-Herb Salt and Sage Butter Ingredients
- 12-14lb. turkey, thawed (EDITOR'S NOTE: Check the packaging on your turkey before brining as many turkeys are pre-injected with a saline solution and will be overly salty if also brined)
- 2 gallons water
- 1 cup Kosher salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup bourbon
- Sage compound butter (recipe follows)
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- Herb and citrus rub (recipe follows)
Sage Compound Butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp. chopped sage
- 1 tbsp. chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. ground thyme
Herb and Citrus Rub
- ¼ cup Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. of fresh thyme leaves
- ½ tsp. chopped rosemary
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- ½ tsp. lime zest
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
Grilled Turkey with Citrus-Herb Salt and Sage Butter Directions
- Place turkey on a large cutting board breast side down and use poultry shears to cut along both sides of the backbone. Flip the turkey over, open it up, and push on the breastbone with both hands to flatten the turkey.
- Heat the water, Kosher salt, brown sugar, and bourbon in a large pot over medium-high heat. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes until the salt and brown sugar have completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow the liquid to cool to room temperature.
- Place turkey breast side down in a large stockpot and cover completely with the brine, weighing it down if necessary to ensure it is completely submerged. Refrigerate for approximately 1 hour per pound.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and rinse well. Discard the brine, place the turkey bone side down on a sheet pan, and allow it to air dry in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Prepare the smoker or grill for indirect cooking and preheat to 350 degrees. Once the charcoal comes to temperature, add 2-3 chunks of your favorite smoking wood to the charcoal for the perfect touch of smoke. Work the sage compound butter under the turkey's skin, then rub the outside of the turkey with the canola oil and season with the herb and citrus salt.
- Place a disposable aluminum pan filled halfway with water or turkey broth below the main cooking grate. Replace the grate and set the turkey bone-side down above the aluminum pan. Insert a remote temperature gauge into the thickest part of the turkey breast, ensuring it isn't touching the bone. Allow the turkey to cook for approximately 15 minutes per pound (3 hours for a 12lb. turkey) until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the turkey from the grill, tent loosely with foil, and allow it to rest for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Sage Compound Butter
- Blend all ingredients in a small bowl well and set it aside until ready to use.
Herb and Citrus Rub
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until all ingredients are combined.