Rising temperatures and longer days are signs that springtime has come and the backyard barbecue season has begun. Invite your friends for a weekend cookout with American Made Grills and Party Steak with Grilled Scallion Salsa Verde. This steak is an easy and quick group meal with a stylish presentation, featuring a simple marinade of garlic and vinegar and charred scallion and chile salsa. For added flavor, use one of our hybrid grills to roast the scallions and steak over your favorite hardwood for added smoky goodness.
Skirt steak is a great cut to use for large groups because it's cheaper and cooks in just a few minutes. Since it tends to have a tougher texture, seasoning and marinating the skirt steak is preferred to moisten and tenderize. Rub with kosher salt and sugar and marinate in a mixture of finely grated garlic and sherry vinegar. The salsa verde uses grilled scallions thinly sliced for a mesquite roasted flavor and combined with finely chopped Fresno chiles, oil, vinegar, salt, and sugar. Grilled to medium-rare, the steak is sliced and plated with the salsa verde on top and on the side. With sunny days ahead, here’s to a happy grilling season from your friends at American Made Grills.
Party Steak with Grilled Scallion Salsa Verde Ingredients
- 6 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ¾ cup plus 3 Tbsp. sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 3 lb. skirt steak, cut into 5" pieces
- Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. sugar
- 1¼ cups extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 2 large bunches scallions (about 30 scallions)
- 2 Fresno chiles, seeds removed if desired, finely chopped
Party Steak with Grilled Scallion Salsa Verde Directions
- Whisk together garlic and ¾ cup vinegar in a large bowl. Season steak all over with 1 Tbsp. salt and 1 Tbsp. sugar; transfer to marinade and turn to coat. Let sit, turning occasionally, 10–15 minutes.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat; oil grate. Grill scallions (making sure to arrange them perpendicular across grates, so they don't fall through), occasionally turning, until charred and softened 6–8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly.
- Grill steaks until charred, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 120°, 3–4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Then, transfer them to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim the roots from the scallions and thinly slice. Transfer to a medium bowl and add chiles and remaining 1¼ cups oil, 3 Tbsp. vinegar, 1 Tbsp. salt, and 2 tsp. sugar and mix well to combine. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Slice steak against the grain into ¼"-thick strips. Arrange on a platter and spoon some scallion salsa verde over. Serve additional salsa verde alongside.
Taken from bonappetit.com. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/steak-with-grilled-scallion-salsa-verde