Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Molasses Glaze
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, so it's time to start thinking about side dishes! Why not switch things up this year and grill your sweet potatoes with Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Molasses Glaze? Grilling brings out the potatoes' natural sweetness and gives them a deep, rich flavor.
Grilled veggies are lovely because their flavors deepen over the fire. With its hearty texture and inherent autumn color palate, this is a terrific side dish to accompany your holiday entertaining.
The molasses glaze is the perfect finishing touch to these grilled sweet potatoes. The orange juice and molasses combine to create a bright, deep flavor, while the allspice adds a touch of complexity. These potatoes are sure to be a hit at your Thanksgiving feast!
Sweet potatoes are simple to grill because they are a forgiving, hearty ingredient that holds up to the fire well. Only try to be consistent in handling and flipping the sweet potato slices to maximize the beautiful presentation and grill marks.
After one bite of these sweet potatoes, you will displace your old family recipe for Thanksgiving sweet potato casserole. So, turn on the grill, grab a coat, and start making new traditions.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Molasses Glaze Ingredients
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 lb.)
- 2 Tbs. molasses
- 2 Tbs. fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- Pinch allspice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for the grill rack
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Molasses Glaze Directions
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Transfer to a 3-quart pot, cover with cold water by 1 inch, and add 1 tsp. salt. Bring to a simmer, partially covered, and then simmer until just tender. They should give with some resistance when pierced with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the potatoes as they are done, and drain.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the molasses, orange juice, butter, allspice, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
- Prepare grill for medium heat. Oil the grill rack, arrange the potatoes on the grill, and cook flipping once until grill marks appear on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Brush the tops with some of the molasses mixture, turn over and cook 30 seconds. Brush the second sides with the molasses mixture, turn over and cook 30 seconds more. Transfer the potatoes to a serving platter and season to taste with salt.
Taken from finecooking.com