With the sun blazing and summer heatwave in full effect, finding refreshing quick, and easy dishes is gold. This Grilled Steak with Cucumber and Daikon Salad recipe is perfect for these hot summer months featuring crisp freshness and abundant flavor. A light and refreshing Japanese summer-inspired dish, you will love how the light vinaigrette dressing highlights the simple flavors of the daikon and cucumber. Quick, easy, and delicious, you'll be able to prepare this dish in 40 minutes, perfect for a weeknight dinner!
Begin by making the vinaigrette dressing, featuring soy, lemon, vinegar, and garlic. Divide the dressing in half and use one portion to marinate and soften the cucumber and daikon quickly. The strip steak is seasoned with oil, salt, and pepper and grilled to medium-rare over medium heat. Prep a refreshing gremolata from lemon zest, finely chopped chile, salt, and pepper to serve on top of the sliced steak with toasted sesame seeds. Toss the arugula, sprouts, the flavored cucumbers and daikon, and remaining dressing in a large bowl and serve beside the steak. Zesty and refreshing, the salad perfectly complements the succulent beef that doesn't weigh you down.
Grilled Steak with Cucumber and Daikon Salad Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus more for rubbing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 8 ounces daikon, peeled and very thinly sliced
- Four 8- to 10-ounce strip steaks (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon minced lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chile
- 4 ounces baby arugula
- 1 cup radish or daikon sprouts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Grilled Steak with Cucumber and Daikon Salad Directions
- In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce with lemon juice, vinegar, and garlic. Whisk in 1/4 cup of oil until emulsified—season with salt and pepper. Transfer half the dressing to a medium bowl, add the cucumber and daikon and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Drain and squeeze out any excess liquid. Return the cucumber and daikon to the bowl.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Rub the steaks with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the steaks over moderate heat, turning once, until lightly charred on both sides and medium-rare within about 7 minutes. Transfer the steaks to a work surface and let rest for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest and chile, season with salt and pepper, transfer the steaks to plates, and spoon the gremolata on top. Add the arugula, sprouts, and the remaining dressing to the cucumber and daikon and toss. Serve the salad with the steaks garnished with sesame seeds.
Taken from foodandwine.com https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grilled-steak-cucumber-and-daikon-salad