Chile-and-Yogurt-Marinated Grilled Chicken
When a summer day is hot and steamy, the last thing you want to do is turn on your stove. We’ve got amazing recipes to try on the grill, keeping you outside by the pool and your kitchen from melting. Chile-and-Yogurt-Marinated Grilled Chicken features an incredibly flavorful marinade that includes yogurt, chili powder, garlic, and cumin, which all combine for a spicy yet subtle flavor profile that will delight any palate. Moist and tasty, this chicken melts in your mouth with each bite for a beautiful summery meal.
The marinade does all the work in this recipe so that the grilling goes fast and easy. Marinate the boneless chicken thighs in a bold and fragrant combination of spices, yogurt, garlic, cumin, and chiles. Yogurt is perfect for tenderizing as the enzymes immediately begin breaking down the tissues. After at least two hours of marinating, grill the chicken over medium heat for about eight minutes per side. Serve with your favorite rice or side for a fantastic afternoon meal that balances warmth and savory saltiness. Don't waste these gorgeous summer days and bake in the kitchen; go outside with your grill with American Made Grills!
Chile-and-Yogurt-Marinated Grilled Chicken Ingredients
- 7 dried Kashmiri or guajillo chiles, broken into pieces, seeds removed
- 1 1½-inch piece ginger, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ cup plain whole-milk yogurt (not Greek)
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro stems
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons dried mango powder (amchoor; optional)
- 1½ teaspoons crushed dried fenugreek leaves
- 1½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for the grill
- 1½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, patted dry
- Kosher salt
Chile-and-Yogurt-Marinated Grilled Chicken Directions
- Place chiles in a medium bowl and pour in hot water to cover. Let sit until chiles are very soft, about 30 minutes; drain. Blend chiles, ginger, garlic, yogurt, cilantro stems, lime juice, mustard oil (if using), coriander, paprika, mango powder (if using), fenugreek leaves, garam masala, cumin, and 2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil in a blender until smooth.
- Transfer marinade to a large resealable plastic bag. Season chicken generously with salt and add to marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat chicken. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Let the chicken sit at room temperature 1 hour before grilling.
- Prepare a grill for medium heat; oil grate.
- Remove chicken from marinade, letting excess drip back into the bag, and grill, turning every minute or so, until beginning to char in spots, 8–10 minutes total.
- Transfer to a platter and let rest 5–10 minutes before serving.
Do Ahead: Chicken can be marinated 12 hours ahead. Keep chilled.