End of Summer Grilling with a Grilled Vegetable Platter
The end of summer is a bittersweet time. We are sad to see the warm weather go, but we are excited to enjoy all the delicious food that autumn brings! One of our favorite things to grill in the final days of summer is a Grilled Vegetable Platter. This recipe is perfect for entertaining – it looks lovely on a plate and tastes terrific! Grilling brings out the natural sweetness of vegetables, which take on a beautiful smoky flavor.
For this recipe, we use asparagus, carrots, sweet red pepper, yellow summer squash, and red onion, but you can use any combination of vegetables that you like. We highly recommend using a grill basket to make grilling the smaller veggie pieces easier or the American Made Grills Griddle Plate, but if you don't have one, wrap them in foil before adding them to the grill.
The easy marinade kicks up the flavor of the grilled vegetables. It is made with olive oil, honey, balsamic vinegar, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Simply whisk the ingredients together and then pour them over the vegetables. Let them marinate for at least 60-90 minutes at room temperature.
When you are ready to grill, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and cook for about 15 minutes until they are tender and slightly charred. Remove from the grill and serve immediately, top with remaining marinade, and enjoy!
A perfect dish to bring to a summer potluck or barbecue, it is always a hit with both kids and adults. It is sure to be a new family favorite! The best part is that it is so easy to make! So, fire up the grill and enjoy the end of summer with this Grilled Vegetable Platter.
End of Summer Grilling with a Grilled Vegetable Platter Ingredients
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- tap here
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 3 small carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
End of Summer Grilling with a Grilled Vegetable Platter Directions
- In a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Place three tablespoons of marinade in a large bowl. Add vegetables; turn to coat. Cover; marinate for 1-1/2 hours at room temperature.
- Transfer vegetables to a grilling grid; place grid on grill rack. Grill vegetables, covered, over medium heat until crisp-tender, 8-12 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place vegetables on a large serving plate. Drizzle with remaining marinade.
- Common olive oil works better for cooking at high heat than virgin or extra-virgin oil. These higher grades have an ideal flavor for cold foods but smoke at lower temperatures.
- Use a disposable foil pan if you do not have a grilling grid. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow the liquid to drain.