Tomato-Portobello Stacks with Cheater's Béarnaise
Usually, we associate grilling with some form of carne; however, just about every ingredient tastes better charred over an open flame, especially vegetables. To acknowledge our vegetarian neighbors and showcase how good freshly grilled veggies are, we will take some time to feature vegetarian grilling recipes.
Get ready to have your taste buds tantalized! We begin with Tomato-Portobello Stacks with Cheater's Béarnaise, a triple grilled recipe with French-inspired flavors. You will need portobello mushrooms, olive oil, tarragon vinegar, tomatoes, and shallots
to make this dish.
Freshness is vital with all vegetarian dishes, and organic produce is preferred. This "cheater's" version of the Béarnaise sauce is a quick rendition combining shallot, vinegar, mayonnaise, tarragon, salt, and pepper. This dish is triple-grilled: the Portobello mushroom steaks and thick tomato slices are each grilled, then they're stacked and covered with the béarnaise sauce and grilled one more time.
Simply place the stack on a toasted ciabatta roll for a vegetarian sandwich. Grab your organic produce, fire up the grill, and get ready for a healthier alternative with Tomato-Portobello Stacks with Cheater's Béarnaise!
Tomato-Portobello Stacks with Cheater's Béarnaise Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp minced shallot
- 1 ½ Tbsp tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar
- kosher salt
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp minced tarragon
- extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- 6 large Portobello mushrooms, stems discarded
- 1 1-pound beefsteak tomato, cored and cut crosswise into six 1/2-inch-thick slices
- thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
Tomato-Portobello Stacks with Cheater's Béarnaise Directions
- In a bowl, whisk the shallot and vinegar with a generous pinch of salt and pepper; let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in the mayonnaise, tarragon, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of water. Season the béarnaise sauce with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill and brush the grates with oil. Brush the Portobello caps with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred, 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Brush the tomato with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, until lightly charred, 3 minutes total. Set the tomatoes on the Portobellos.
- Spoon the béarnaise on the tomato slices. Transfer the stacks to the grill and close the grill. Cook over moderate heat until the sauce is just hot, 3 minutes. Transfer to plates, garnish with scallions, and serve.
Taken from foodandwine.com https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/tomato-portobello-stacks-cheaters-bearnaise