Summertime Grilled Rib Eye with Onion Relish
It's grilling season, and there's no better way to enjoy the last days of summer than with a gorgeous, juicy rib eye steak. But why settle for any old steak when you can have the Summertime Grilled Rib Eye with Onion Relish? This unique dish features a rich onion-jalapeño relish that will take your taste buds on a flavor journey they won't soon forget. So fire up the grill and get ready to enjoy the best steak of your life!
Everything starts with the meat: the cut, quality, and freshness. So we recommend taking your time to find a butcher you can trust if you haven't already. This preparation is a fusion of several cultures using Asian fish sauce, Moroccan olives, jalapenos, and mint. The onion relish brings a glazy texture to the steak that sings of flavor and intensifies with each bite. The onion sauce adds a rich smoothness and balances the relish from overwhelming the steak. Sure to be a family favorite, these steaks are made for celebrations.
Summertime Grilled Rib Eye with Onion Relish Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 2 dry bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Six 12- to 14-ounce rib eye steaks, about 3/4 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 pickled jalapeños, seeded
- 1 tablespoon dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup drained cocktail onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup oil-cured Moroccan olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup torn mint leaves
Summertime Grilled Rib Eye with Onion Relish Directions
- In a large, shallow dish, combine the cracked pepper with the bay leaves, fish sauce, and two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the steaks to the dish and rub them all over with the mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onions and jalapeños and cook over moderate heat for about five minutes until the onions are just softened. Add the wine and one tablespoon of vinegar and season with salt and ground pepper. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the onions are very tender, 40 minutes.
- Uncover the onions and cook over moderate heat, frequently stirring, until the liquid is evaporated about 10 minutes. Transfer the onions to a blender. Add the remaining one tablespoon of vinegar and puree until very smooth. Season with salt and ground pepper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cocktail onions, olives, and mint leaves with the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Preheat a grill pan or light a grill. Grill the steaks over moderate heat, turning once or twice, until lightly charred, about 7 minutes for medium-rare meat. Let the steaks rest for 5 minutes, then serve with the onion sauce and pickled onion relish.
Taken from foodandwine.com http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grilled-steaks-with-onion-sauce-and-onion-relish