Holiday Grilled Corn and Cheddar Quinoa
We are always looking for fresh ideas to grill through the year, especially during the holidays, so that we can add a new look at traditional dishes. For a gorgeous creamy side dish to complement a holiday menu, Grilled Corn and Cheddar Quinoa is the perfect solution. The mesquite blackened corn, cheese, and fresh herbs give this dish a deep flavor that you'll love. It's also packed with vitamins and nutrients from veggies, protein from cheese, fiber from the quinoa, and antioxidants.
The grill is used to roast and blacken the fresh ears of corn, imparting smoky goodness beautifully combines with the natural sweetness and crisp texture. Grill the corn over high heat until it reaches your desired darkness, and then remove the kernels from the ear once cooled. Prep the quinoa in a saucepan on your matching side burner. When finished, add butter, cheese, salt, and corn to the quinoa and fold in. once melted, the cheese adds a creaminess that explodes with flavor, while the grilled corn kernels pop with a smoky texture and sweetness. Quick, easy, and hearty, this corn and quinoa make for a fresh take on warm comfort food during the holidays.
Holiday Grilled Corn and Cheddar Quinoa Ingredients
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ears of sweet corn grilled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Holiday Grilled Corn and Cheddar Quinoa Directions
- Preheat your grill on the highest setting.
- Shuck corn ears, brush each with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Wrap each in a square of aluminum foil – just so there is one layer covering the corn. Grill for about 5 minutes each "side" – rotating corn 4-5 times during grilling.
- Once the corn has cooled, cut the kernels off the cob.
- Add quinoa and chicken stock to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cool for 15-18 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Immediately stir in butter, cheddar, and remaining salt and pepper. Add in corn and stir to combine, then top with fresh cilantro. Serve!
Taken from howsweeteats.com https://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/06/grilled-corn-cheddar-quinoa/