Grilled Lemongrass Beef Skewers
Winter grilling is a favorite of those who live in warmer climates, but cold weather doesn't have to keep the rest of us from enjoying it either. When choosing what to grill in the peak of wintertime, I like selecting dishes that don't require much manipulation or grill up quickly. Grilled Lemongrass Beef Skewers is one of those recipes that takes little coordination and tastes just as good, if not better, than its summertime counterpart. Flavored with honey, lime, and rice wine glaze that imbues them with an addictive char and sweetness, these sticks of beef are your wintertime ticket to outdoor grilling.
Plump and juicy in the center, with a crispy char on the outside, these skewers are perfect for winter social gatherings or watching the big game. Finely chop garlic, galangal, lemongrass bulbs, lime leaves, and turmeric in a food processor, and then add the honey, lime, and rice wine glaze to create the marinade for the steak. Marinate the beef in the mixture and then thread onto skewers when ready to grill. These skewers only take a couple of minutes per side to cook through, making them perfect for grilling in the brisk, freezing winter air. Your family and friends will love these addictive strips of beef, and though it may be cold outside, they'll warm your mouth and your belly.
Grilled Lemongrass Beef Skewers Ingredients
- 1/3 cup rice wine
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh galangal, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 lemongrass stalks, tender inner bulbs only, chopped
- 3 fresh lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pounds beef chuck, sliced into 1-by- 1/4-inch strips
- 16 (12-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water
Grilled Lemongrass Beef Skewers Directions
- Combine rice wine, fish sauce, 1/4 cup oil, sugar, honey, paprika, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, place garlic, galangal, lemongrass bulbs, lime leaves, and turmeric in a mini food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Scrape into a large bowl, and whisk in rice wine mixture until smooth. Add beef and stir to coat. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Thread 5 beef strips lengthwise on each skewer, stretching meat flat.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high (about 450°F), heat a grill pan over medium-high, and brush the grate with oil. Grill skewers until the meat is caramelized and cooked through, about 2 minutes and 30 seconds per side.
- Serve immediately.
Taken from foodandwine.com https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grilled-lemongrass-beef-skewers