Grilled Eggplant and Lemons with Garlic Labneh
We love grilling outdoors throughout the year. A fire-roasted meal can be the perfect end to a busy workday, even in colder regions. We've found that meals like this Grilled Eggplant and Lemons with Garlic Labneh are not only easy to make, they're versatile as well. Full of flavor and texture, this vegetarian dish is a delight. You can assemble the whole entree in advance—even the labneh (if you'd like to let it soften overnight).
This dish is packed with incredible taste and flavor. Use whatever type of eggplant strikes your fancy at the market; small globe eggplants are simple to come by, but also consider long Asian types, tiny round white ones, or any of the other fascinating striped sorts.
The eggplant is seasoned with za'atar, olive oil, salt, and pepper and roasted and charred on the grill to impart smoky notes. Grilled lemons are added to red onion, Sherry, fresh mint, salt, pepper, and olive oil to form a dressing. The labneh is strained Lebanese yogurt combined with garlic, salt, and pepper. To serve, the labneh mixture is plated first, with the eggplant mixture and lemon mixtures added on top.
These grilled eggplant and lemons are a delight full of flavor and texture. This dish is packed with outstanding taste and flavor, perfect for an evening meal or a complementing side dish at a weekend cookout.
Grilled Eggplant and Lemons with Garlic Labneh Ingredients
- Vegetable oil (for the grill)
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 small eggplants, sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon za'atar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup (packed) fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon Sherry or white wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 1 cup labneh (strained Lebanese yogurt)
Grilled Eggplant and Lemons with Garlic Labneh Directions
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate. Soak onion in ice water for 10 minutes to mellow its flavor. Drain, pat dry with paper towels, and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Meanwhile, toss eggplant, za'atar, and 3 Tbsp. of olive oil in another medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Grill eggplant, turning often, until tender and charred in spots, 5–8 minutes; transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Halve any large rounds; set aside.
- Toss lemon with 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Grill lemon, often turning until lightly charred in spots, about 2 minutes. Transfer to cutting board and let cool slightly. Cut lemon slices in half and add to bowl with onion. Stir in mint, Sherry, and the remaining 1 Tbsp. of olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Mix garlic and labneh in another small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Spoon labneh mixture onto a platter and arrange eggplant and onion mixture over.
Taken from bonappetit.com https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/grilled-eggplant-lemons-garlic-labneh