Fourth of July Grilled Chicken Drumsticks with Bourbon-Cherry BBQ Sauce
This Fourth of July, break away from the crowds and make a memory your family won’t soon forget! Their Fourth of July Grilled Chicken Drumsticks with Bourbon-Cherry BBQ Sauce brings a special holiday experience to your backyard barbecues.
These drumsticks are marinated to tender perfection in bourbon and cherry; every bite will transport you to a fireworks show without leaving your home. Tender and juicy, these drumsticks offer an unforgettable flavor combo that will turn any picnic or cookout into an Independence Day extravaganza. And don’t worry if you’ve never fired up the grill—these special drumsticks come pre-prepped and ready to go, so all you have to do is light up the grill.
So get inspired this year: it’s time for some Fourth of July Grilled Chicken Drumsticks with Bourbon-Cherry BBQ Sauce that will surely be a hit at every family gathering! For more grilling inspiration, be sure to check out the Fourth of July Grilling Series from Summerset Grills.
Fourth of July Grilled Chicken Drumsticks with Bourbon-Cherry BBQ Sauce Ingredients
- 3 cups fresh or frozen sour cherries, pitted and thawed (about 20 oz.)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup unsalted ketchup
- 1/4 cup unsalted tomato paste
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 pounds chicken drumsticks, skinned (about 16)
- Cooking spray
Fourth of July Grilled Chicken Drumsticks with Bourbon-Cherry BBQ Sauce Directions
- Place cherries in a food processor; pulse until almost smooth. Bring cherry puree, 1/4 cup water, and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high. Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl to yield about 1 cup liquid; discard remaining solids.
- Add cherry liquid to pan; bring to a boil. Stir in honey and next 9 ingredients (through ground red pepper). Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool. Place 1 cup sauce in a bowl; reserve.
- Preheat grill to medium-high (about 450°F).
- Coat grill grate and drumsticks with cooking spray. Arrange drumsticks on grill; cover and grill the chicken 8 minutes, turning occasionally. Reduce heat to medium. Brush drumsticks with remaining sauce; cook 12 minutes or until done, turning and brushing every 3 minutes. Serve with reserved 1 cup sauce.
Taken from summersetgrills.com https://summersetgrills.com/blogs/recipes/fourth-of-july-grilled-chicken-drumsticks-with-bourbon-cherry-bbq-sauce