Chicken Grillcicles with Rum Butter Sauce
Instead of skipping grilling season this winter, why don't you take a creative approach and try something new? Lift your spirits by infusing your next winter party or gathering with the smoky, savory-sweet aroma of Chicken Grillcicles with Rum Butter Sauce! These glorious skewers are hearty portions of thick and juicy chicken, generously rolled in crunchy, chopped nuts and marinated with an oh-so-sweet rum butter sauce — perfect for any winter grilling occasion. Get ready to savor flavor that just won't quit this season.
Beginning with the chicken, cut both the breasts and thighs into 2-inch pieces and liberally season with your favorite BBQ seasoning – these are going to be very thick skewers with about 8 ounces of chicken per skewer. For entertaining, use smaller pieces of meat for appetizer portions. The rum butter sauce combines butter, rum, ginger, garlic, peach preserves, honey, soy sauce, green onions, and herbs, yielding a sweet and salty sticky glaze you can't get enough of.
After grilling and basting the skewers, they are removed a rolled over a bed of mixed nuts for crunch and texture. For added next-level texture, toast the chopped nuts in the oven or a pan on the grill first.
Nothing says winter like smoke rising from the grill, except maybe the taste of this sumptuous poultry on a stick! Chicken Grillcicles with Rum Butter Sauce will always warm your heart.
Chicken Grillcicles with Rum Butter Sauce Ingredients
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs or legs
- 4 large sugar cane skewers, bamboo skewers, or chopsticks soaked in rum
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ seasoning
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 ounces of your favorite rum
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (green and white parts)
- Chopped fresh herbs to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups crushed assorted nuts (cashews, peanuts, almonds, or all)
Chicken Grillcicles with Rum Butter Sauce Directions
- Cut chicken into large chunks, about 2-inch pieces. Season chicken liberally with BBQ seasoning. Next, skewer chicken, packing meat firmly together onto each skewer. Make them big, about 8 ounces of chicken per person. Repeat with remaining chicken and set aside.
- To make rum butter sauce, combine butter, ginger, garlic, peach preserves, honey, soy sauce, rum, green onions, and fresh herbs in a small pot over medium heat. Heat gently, whisking to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high (about 400 degrees F.). Brush chicken lightly with vegetable oil. Place chicken skewers onto the grill and sear chicken on all sides for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, close grill lid, and indirectly grill-roast for 18 to 22 minutes or until fully cooked (minimum internal temperature of 170 degrees F.). Baste with rum butter sauce during the last quarter of grilling time until the whole thing is sticky.
- Line a flat work surface with a sheet of aluminum foil. Cover foil with an even layer of crushed nuts. Give the chicken a final baste, remove it from the grill, and roll chicken skewers in the nuts for a crust. Repeat with remaining chicken grillcicles and serve.
Taken from sheknows.com