Summertime French Onion Beer Burgers
Burgers have become an American tradition and staple, but even more so during the summer months with perfect weather and long days. French onion soup has also become a popular favorite but is not ideal in hot weather unless you’re locked up inside an icebox. To keep you outside in the sun and nature, combine these two favorites in Summertime French Onion Beer Burgers. Packed with deep, rich flavor, these burgers bring the savory to a beautiful, sultry sunset.
Beginning with the onions, they are sautéed in butter, beef broth, beer, brown sugar, salt, and pepper until they reach a deep brown color. The beef is mixed with beer, garlic, salt, and pepper to deepen the taste. A horseradish mayo is used to marry the meat and onions together on a toasted bun while adding a kick of heat to compliment the lush flavors.
To save time, the onions and mayo can be prepped the night before, bringing the total preparation time down to about 15 minutes.
Gaze upon the majestic sunsets, fire up the grill, and get ready for two-handed-feast-your-face delight!
Summertime French Onion Beer Burgers Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound of onions, peeled & thinly sliced
- ½ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup beer
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
Horseradish Dijon Mayo
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1⅓ pounds of ground beef
- 2 tablespoons beer
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hamburger rolls, each split in half
- 4 slices of Swiss or Gouda cheese
Summertime French Onion Beer Burgers Directions
- Place butter in a skillet over medium heat until melted. Add onions and cook about 10-15 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add broth, ¼ cup beer, brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper, stirring occasionally. Cook another 5-10 minutes until browned and liquid has reduced.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and horseradish until well combined, and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, two tablespoons of beer, garlic, one teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper until just combined. Do not over mix. Make it into four patties. Grill 3-5 minutes per side or until desired doneness. During the last minute of grilling, place rolls on the grill (cut side down) to toast and place cheese on patties to melt.
- To assemble, spread some of the sauce on the cut side of the rolls, top bottom part of each roll with a patty, onions, then the top part of the roll.
Taken from snappygourmet.com http://snappygourmet.com/french-onion-beer-burgers/