There's nothing like a big juicy steak for Sunday lunch to satisfy hunger and craving, inducing a food coma for the rest of the day. Renown for succulent, melt-in-your-mouth texture and flavor, Bistecca Fiorentina is a traditional steak from Florence, Italy, graceful and elegant. Traditionally, the beef comes from a Tuscan breed called Chianina, huge white oxen that produce prize-winning grade beef. Preferably aged, these steaks are simply seasoned with salt and pepper and served rare to medium-rare.
The uniqueness and beauty of this steak come from the breed and the simple preparation. If finding a Chianina distributor becomes difficult, use an aged Porterhouse cut from another reputable breed. Season with salt and pepper and allow the steaks to rise to room temperature for uniform cooking. Grill over high direct heat until lightly charred all over. These steaks have a dark crust from the sear but are rare to medium-rare on the inside. Tender and gorgeous, serve with olive oil and salt for a magical experience any steak-loving connoisseur will treasure.
Bistecca Fiorentina Ingredients
- 2½–3-pound bone-in rib-eye steaks, 2–2½ inches thick, preferably aged
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil (for serving)
- Flaky sea salt
Bistecca Fiorentina Directions
- Prepare grill for high, indirect heat (for a charcoal grill, bank coals on one side of grill; for a gas grill, leave one or two burners off). Season steaks generously with kosher salt and pepper. Grill over direct heat, occasionally turning, until browned and lightly charred all over, 10–15 minutes.
- Move steaks to indirect heat, balancing on one side, so only the bone makes contact with the grate. Grill until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of steaks registers 100° (this is very, very rare), 20–30 minutes.
- Transfer steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut meat from the bones and then grill the bones over direct heat, turning often, until crisped and well charred, about 5 minutes.
- Slice meat ½" thick and transfer to a platter. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve with bones alongside.
Do Ahead: The steaks can be grilled 2 hours ahead if needed. Do not cut meat from bone; hold at room temperature. Grill over high to reheat, about 5 minutes, before finishing as directed above.
Taken from bonappetit.com https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chi-spaccas-bistecca-fiorentina