Springtime Grilled Shrimp Rolls with Sorrel
Springtime brings warmer temperatures, budding blossoms, longer days, and thus, more opportunities to grill and hang out with friends. Spring is the unofficial start to the high season of barbecue, and American Made Grills wants to kick start your weekend menu with some terrific meal ideas with Springtime Grilled Shrimp Rolls with Sorrel. A fragrant take on traditional Northeastern lobster rolls using grilled shrimp, sherry, gin, and herbs, these shrimp rolls are perfect for a casual outdoor gathering.
Begin with large fresh shrimp, already shelled and deveined, and add to a marinade of olive oil, rosemary, lemon zest, and garlic. The custom mayonnaise for the rolls uses scallions, cornichons, shallot, celery, tarragon, sherry vinegar, paprika, celery seeds, garlic, salt, and pepper. The marinated shrimp are tossed with sherry and gin and threaded onto skewers just before grilling. Grill over high heat for a few minutes per side to a beautiful char, then toss with the mayonnaise and serve on a roll with fresh sorrel. The finished shrimp comes off the grill with a fresh texture and beautiful color, and the mayonnaise adds a creamy depth of flavor from the sherry vinegar and spices.
Set up the favorite hammock under the favorite tree, fire up the grill, and get ready to enjoy spring with your backyard and your grill.
Springtime Grilled Shrimp Rolls with Sorrel Ingredients
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 40 large shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), shelled and deveined
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 cornichons, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon gin
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 8 hot dog rolls (preferably potato rolls), split
- 8 large sorrel or arugula leaves
Springtime Grilled Shrimp Rolls with Sorrel Directions
- In a large shallow dish, combine 1/4 cup of olive oil with the rosemary, lemon zest, and two-thirds of the garlic. Stir in the shrimp and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- In a bowl, stir the mayonnaise with the scallions, cornichons, shallot, celery, tarragon, sherry vinegar, paprika, celery seeds, and the remaining minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill. Toss the shrimp with the gin and sherry. Thread the shrimp onto eight skewers; season with salt and pepper. Grill the shrimp over a fire until lightly charred and cooked through, 3 minutes per side; let cool slightly. Stir the grilled shrimp into the mayonnaise dressing.
- Brush the cut sides of the hot dog rolls with olive oil and grill until toasted. Place a sorrel leaf in each roll, spoon the shrimp salad into the rolls and serve.
Taken from foodandwine.com http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grilled-shrimp-rolls-with-sorrel